Career Advice on Creating YOUR Personal Brand: Are You A Purple Cow?
Ask A Career Expert
You’ve heard the classic joke that “everyone’s in sales”?
If you are married – you are in sales… If you have kids, you are in sales – bigtime!
As a Career Expert I can tell you that if you are looking for a new job or a promotion… you are in both SALES and MARKETING!
You are what we in the recruiting/career coaching industry, call “The Brand You” (i.e. your Personal Brand).
Let me back up a bit as you may not know what I mean by being a BRAND.
Let me explain in a simple framework of what ‘Brand Marketing’ includes and how it comes into play in your career. There are 3 components that are included in your personal brand.
- You need to identify a/the problem that you SOLVE. The more detailed you can drill down on what specifically you solve, the better.
- When you are sitting in front of your boss or an interviewer, you need to be able to quickly identify and promote what problem they have that you can solve.
- What makes you DIFFERENT from your peers and your competition?
- What is UNIQUE to your background, your set of skills and talents and maybe even at what price point might you be different?
- What is your Value Proposition (some call this in traditional marketing, a Unique Selling Proposition/USP)?
- What is the benefit they get? (Remember in selling/marketing it is all about them!).
- How does this benefit HELP your boss or the Hiring Manager?
Harsh to say yet, no one really cares about your title or your job descriptions – they care what you can (and have done) to solve problems similar to the ones they have. Especially problems that save TIME and/or MONEY issues!
Your Personal BRAND:
“Your BRAND is a combination of the above three: your Positioning in the market, your Differentiation and the Benefit(s) you offer”
Seth Godin (the famous Digital Marketer/Author) calls it “Being a purple cow”.
What feeling do you want people to have every time they experience you or your work?
I challenge you to write these down and to take action. Write out what your POSITIONING, DIFFERENTIATION, BENEFIT and your BRAND are. You should know these like the back of your hand – these are what earn you the big bucks and help keep you staying relevant in any job market.
Please SUBSCRIBE to FionaTV where I answer your questions and provide FREE career advice and support to help you create your best career and life!
PS. Allow me to just share one more joke that a client told me the other day: “All I ask the Lord/Universe is for the chance to prove that money cannot make me happy….!”